Sunday, June 1, 2008

175 Miles Closer to Ironman & $355 Closer to a Cure for MS

For the third year in a row, I signed up for the MS ride that follows a route from Richmond to Williamsburg on Saturday and then back to Richmond on Sunday. Round trip that's 150 miles, unless of course you're training for an Ironman and feel compelled to do an extra 25 miles on Saturday. :-)

(My bike, loaded down w/snacks for the ride.)

This year, Governor of Virginia Tim Kaine, his security entourage, his wife, and their son, all participated in the ride. It's great to live in a state where the Governor is a cyclist! Although I have to say, he had about a minute head start on me and I still managed to drop him inside the first mile. I was debating what to say to him as I passed him, but also trying not to pass too close for fear of what his security guards might say or do. So in the end I just passed him nice and wide and didn't say a thing. Oh well.

(The ride starts in front of the Governor's mansion.)

(Governor Kaine in the white jersey, getting his number pinned on his back.)

(Rest Stop.)

As usual, my Grandmother was nice enough to pick up her smelly, sweaty, salty grandaughter at the finish line and take her home for a good shower and some gluten free treats. When I asked her where she would like to go for dinner, remembering the Easter fiasco, she replied with "anywhere other than that country club!" Works for me! We wound up at Outback Steakhouse so that I could indulge in a chocolate thunder from down under. It's not quite a chocolate waffle, but it would do.

Overall, it was a good (although HOT) weekend of cycling for a good cause. After 175+ miles on my bike however, I'm really not feeling like riding again anytime soon. Bummer I've got 6 weeks left of training.

No comments: