Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Gettysburg - What happened there again?

Tom and I decided to meet in Gettysburg for the weekend. Little did I know what I was in for when I agreed to go! No sooner did I get out of the car and I was met with a manila folder marked "Gettysburg" with maps of each day of the 3 day battle. It was a 3 day battle? This math and physics major last studied the civil war in 11th grade and has a brain that lives by the motto "use it or lose it!"
Tom is quite the history buff, and the civil war, and Gettysburg buff in particular. He was a fantastic tour guide explaining each stage of the battle and where the union and confederate troops were positioned and how his favorite General - Gen. Joshua Chamberlain of the 20th Maine - won the battle for Union. (His bio was included in my folder.)

All in all, it was a fun day re-learning a little history while driving around the battlefield looking at all the memorials.

1 comment:

Jim D said...

History Buff you say...

Try the book, Guns, Germs and Steel by Jerod Diamond