Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Trip to the Pink Bubble

In an effort to recover from my scientology experience, I made a trip to the pink bubble last week. Well, really it was to be on a career panel for math/engineering majors, but regardless, it was such a welcome break from the DC rat race.


Jane and I were both on the panel so we drove down together on Wednesday afternoon, arriving in time to visit the bookshop to stock up on all things Sweet Briar. Even the lady working in the new cafe recognized me. She used to work in the dining hall and said she remembered seeing me come in every day. Frightening!! I just hope she doesn't remember the time I went in and walked out 2 min later with ~5 pieces of german chocolate cake...


We had dinner in the Bistro with "the happy math family." It was so awesome to see the Kirkwoods and Wassell, they haven't changed a bit. The Bistro, however, is NOT what it used to be. Gone are the brick floors and cozy wooden booths as well as the crazy shakes. The only redeeming thing is that potato skins are now back on the menu. Apparently 10 years later - Erikka's and my flooding of the suggestion box finally paid off.


I woke up early Thursday morning so that I could go for a walk around campus right as the sun was coming up. I walked down to the boathouse. It was so peaceful and quiet and calm. I could have walked for hours. I wish I'd taken my camera with me on the walk. There was a light fog over the surface of the water, the sun was shining, and I saw about a dozen deer in one of the fields.



Before heading back to DC, Jane and I drove out to the new art barns which are spectacular. It's about the only renovation I'd say Sweet Briar really did right. The new entrance is not welcoming, and the bookshop and Prothro - though very nice, lack the charm of the old buildings. They've changed the crest too - one of the students was showing us her ring and the crest is totally different. And the new pledge - what is up with that?? Part of indoctrination into the bubble as a freshman was to memorize that seemingly unending pledge! I wish I could remember it now...if you can, please email me. What a cop out the new one is!


Thank goodness reunion is only a month away and I can spend 3 whole days on campus. I can't wait. I may never leave.

No comments: