Sunday, October 19, 2008

Ein Tag mit Pferden

Pferd, as I came to learn this weekend, is the German word for horse, and is actually pronounced "fiat". My German vocabulary is growing by leaps and bounds!

Yesterday, I helped Frauke put her bike together, and was told that following the bike assembly would be a "surprise with Frauke & Steve" and to dress "casual but nice" and to bring a camera. I was so intrigued! For the life of me, I could not figure out where we were going, but when I asked if jeans were acceptable, I was told no.

So after mostly putting her bike together, Frauke and Steve put Paula (another of Frauke's friends who attended the wedding in Germany) and I in the car and started driving West. We still had no idea where we were going. Once we turned off the interstate though, we were informed that we were going to watch the Gold Cup in The Plains. Yay! It's been years since I've been to the Gold Cup and it's always a fun time!
Steve got tickets through his company for the VIP section where we had an open bar and lots of good food! It was a gorgeous (though brisk) day with the colorful leaves providing a scenic backdrop for the races. Clearly we should have bet our 401(k)s since we picked several of the winners just based on their cool names, such as "Scuba Steve" and "Bubble Economy". Frauke was desperately routing for the German pferde, but no such luck, they never made it to the winner's circle.



It was a fun day, that included Steve getting asked at the gas station on the way home if he were "interested in new opportunities", by a guy who was chatting him up because he had a German car and Steve had a German wife and clearly they had loads in common! :-)

No comments: