Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Apple Streudel is Worth Blowing the Diet For

Today we visited a walled city not far from Heidelberg called Ladenberg. It was charming. The old buildings with their shutters, crooked lines, and overflowing window boxes make every building in the U.S. seem boring.





We also visted the Schloss - or castle in Heidelberg. It was huge! They built the walls 21 ft. thick to keep out the enemys, and if that didn't work, they emptied the toilets on them (seriously). We also got to see the largest wine barrel in the world, in the basement of the castle. It holds something like 50,000 gallons of wine, unfortunately its empty today. Apparently in the days the castle was occupied, they didn't know you could boil water to kill the germs, so they only drank wine. It must have been a happy castle!




Ok, so there might be a trend developing here. I told my mom when we arrived that if I found good apple streudel, the kind I remembered from my last trip to Germany (8 yrs. ago), that I would be blowing the diet. Tonight was our last night in Germany, and like the eclair, the streudel was worth blowing the diet for. Its a good thing I only have 5 more days of vacation left. Also probably a good thing I don't live in Europe. :-)



Next we're off to Prague to catch up with Frank.

No comments: