Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Ironman Switzerland

Is over! Thank goodness! I am definitely done with this distance! I thought I would post a list of the positive aspects of the day:

  • It was not hot.

  • I barely sweat.
  • I did not get sunburned.
  • There were cool rain covers for our bikes overnight.
  • There was chicken broth on the run course, which truly saved me.
  • While I do not think you can compare one ironman time to another, I did a PR for the swim and run for this distance. (By the way, I don't know where that timing mat was on the swim, but by my watch my actual swim time was closer to 58 min. Yes, I'm bitter.)
  • The fan/spectator support were unmatched. I think every brass band in all of Zurich was out on the bike and run course.
  • The courses (swim, bike, and run) were all spectacularly beautiful, even in the rain.
  • Bill, Mary, and Betty were excellent cheerleaders.
  • The doctor in the medical tent spoke english.
  • The IV made me feel much better.

  • Theresa, clearly one of my best friends, stopped racing after the bike, yet stood out on the run course (freezing her butt off) to cheer for me, and then after I finished got me to the medical tent, and then, somehow, with the help of Bill and Hugh (in the pouring rain) managed to get 4 bikes and everyone's soaking wet gear loaded on a tram and back to the hotel. I don't know what I would have done without her.

3 comments:

Erikka said...

IV?!?!?!Apparently you were crazy for doing this again. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Julie Roddin said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to hear ALL about it!

Julie

Unknown said...

too bad we didn't take pictures on the tram post race with the bikes and the gear :) Hugh and Bill made it easy for me!