Saturday, August 2, 2008

Swimming in the Baltic!

Some people keep a track of every country they've visited, I'm thinking maybe I'll keep track of every body of water I've swum in. Gdansk is right on the Baltic Sea, and just a short train ride away is the beach town of Sopot. On our last day in Gdansk, we headed there to soak up the sun (and let our bank accounts recover from the amber damage). It was an absolutely gorgeous day - perfect for relaxing on the beach. After all, being a tourist for 3 weeks is hard work!


(If only I'd brought my goggles...my arms were desperate for a good workout!)


Before heading back to Gdansk, we went to this fish restaurant that was recommended in both Heather's and Theresa's guide books. When we got there, there was an indoor restaurant (with a huge line) or an outdoor stand. We opted for the outdoor stand, since we had limited time before our train.

Heather translated the various fish names for us, and we placed our order. For just fish - that was really all you could get at the outdoor stand, other than cabbage salad which just wasn't high on any of our lists. Anyway, we clearly had no idea what we were doing. It took forever, and when our fish arrived we realized that we were supposed to specify the quantity (in grams) of fish we wanted. They charged something like 7 Zloty (about $3.50) per 100g. Well, since we didn't specify I guess, they just gave us however much they wanted .... as in A LOT! Heather had an entire trout (head and all...) and the rest of us had huge fillets of halibut. But apparently our stomachs were in fact bigger than our eyes because we managed to eat it all. And it was in fact, delicious - easily the best halibut I've ever had.

1 comment:

Jim D said...

Joanne
Your blog is fantastic. I spoke with your travel companion (and our Saturday morning swim coach) to get more details about your adventure but only scratched the surface. Having flown business class a few times I can appreciate the look of travel-ecstasy on Theresa’s face. The down side is that it spoils you for economy class.

I was disappointed to see that you don’t carry your swim goggles with you whenever you go near water. When I was younger I did a 10 mile swim in the Baltic and all I remember is that it was a lot cooler than Ocean City.

Welcome back to the US of A.
Jim