Sunday, January 4, 2009

If only I had a picture...

While cleaning out my grandmother's house in Williamsburg on Friday, I came across several entertaining finds. I wish I'd had my camera with me to document them. My favorites include:
  • The many packages of food, with cardboard packaging that likely pre-dates me. My Aunt Janet found one item with an expiration date of 1978.
  • The box of cake flour that had been taped shut with brown packing tape, and clearly had made the move from Helmsdale Lane in Alexandria more than 12 years ago.
  • My Aunt Janet's report card from the University of Richmond where she got a "D" in biology (and the reaction on her kids faces when I showed it to them).
  • A disposable styrofoam coffee cup (with plastic lid) from the Holiday Inn that had been washed and put away in a cabinet with the coffee mugs.
  • Countless bags of chex mix stashed in nearly every kitchen cabinet.
  • The random food items placed in cabinets with pots and pans, glassware, etc. My favorite - tupperware containers with lids closed tight, containing unopened bags of chex mix, candy corn, etc. As if she ran out of places to store the chex mix so she had to start putting it inside the containers.
  • An overwhelming number of half burned candles.
  • A plastic bag containing every greeting card ever sent to my great grandfather while he was in the nursing home. (He died in 1996.)
  • A sewing kit, still in its box, with packaging circa 1970 that declared "as seen on TV."
  • Several plastic scoops from the powdered laundry detergent.
  • A lacquerware box from Okinawa full of spare Christmas ornament hooks and a couple lost scrabble pieces.
And I'm sure this is only the beginning.

No comments: