Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Quick Trip to Sweet Briar

I was invited to return to Sweet Briar to be on a panel at the Careers in Math and Engineering event. Not that I do much math or engineering in my job, but I had lots to talk about when one student said "I'm a math major, and I don't think I want a career in math, so what am I supposed to do?" This is my life story! I liked math from an academic perspective - it was easy, it made sense, I was good at it, and I got A's. But I've come to the conclusion over the years that as much as I like math, I don't like the applications of math. At least not for a career. I much prefer the intellectual challenge of policy issues, and dare I say it....reading and writing. Who'd have thought from the girl that planned her entire college curriculum around never having to write more than one paper per semester.

(The Pink High Heel - designed and built by SBC engineering students and entered into the Red Bull Soap Box Derby. The heel finished 3rd in the People's Choice Category.)

The visit to campus was an opportunity not only to catch up with "The Happy Math Family," but also to see the changes on campus since I was there last year. The most exciting change I noticed would probably be missed by most visitors to campus - the dining hall now has gluten free bread, cereal, and other options. Wow! My dream come true! The more obvious change on campus though is the construction of the new gym and eco-townhouses.

(Pink commuter bikes - cool!)

No comments: